Wednesday, December 17, 2008

WTF is a necktie anyway?

One morning, I was watching my boyfriend, Steve, get ready for work when it occured to me: what the fuck is a necktie? Like, seriously...what is that? I mean, as a woman, I'm confident in saying that we do some crazy things solely for cosmetic purposes...don't get me wrong. I just want to know who came up with the idea for a tie. When did that start? What came first: the collared shirt, or the tie? Was someone like "I came up with this great idea to put decorative silk around my neck, but it just doesn't fit with this regular, collar-less shirt." Or were they like, "This collared shirt would be great...if it only had the perfect accessory. *puts on the tie* Ahhhh...NOW, I'm ready for work."It is just amazing to me how we fall into fashion trends, and how some of them hang around--to the point that they become timeless, like the tie. I just thank my lucky stars everyday that the "Dickie" never stuck.

No comments: